Proactively Managing Your Career
Session scheduled at 10:30-11:20 in Room 3 (Ski-U-Mah)
The past 12 past months Minnesota has seen a number of significant hiring, reorganization, layoff and acquisition announcements.
If your CEO, Executive Director, VP or Manager came to your desk or sent an email right now and said:
- We want to promote you, let’s meet tomorrow at 9 am and talk about it.
- Your annual review is this month, fill out this form and have it back to me by the end of the week.
- Because of the upcoming acquisition your role is likely to change. Let’s talk about what you want to do next.
- The project we are working… the funding has been pulled. We only you need you for two more weeks.
- I’m sorry but as part of our “reorganization” we are letting you go.
… would you be ready? Are you maintaining your career?
What will be one past presentation and two parts active Q&A we are going to have a conversation around these topics:
- How to position yourself for the next step in your career.
- Negotiating salary/rates and how to ask for more money.
- Maintaining the skills your employer needs now and learning what they need next.
- The grass is not always greener on the other side.
- Networking – Are you sitting next to someone you know right now? If so, change seats.
- Building your portfolio for your next review, job search, or project.
- Specifically for the consultants/contractors: how to have an adequate pipeline of projects
These are exciting (and stressful) times and in many ways the future of the workplace is changing. Be ready.
Paul DeBettignies, better known online as Minnesota Headhunter, is a Minnesota IT Recruiter who builds IT teams with startups and tech companies, creates recruiting strategies for Fortune 500 clients and is the author of the Minnesota Headhunter blog, the longest running regional recruiter blog.
He is a frequent local and national speaker, trainer and subject matter expert on recruiter, HR, career, networking and social media topics. Recent activities include presentations at Twin Cities Startup Week, Google for Entrepreneurs, Social Media Breakfast MSP, the University of St Thomas, Capella University, MinneBar and ERE and interviews with WCCO AM (CBS) Radio, FOX 9, MSP Business Journal, Minneapolis StarTribune, St Paul Pioneer Press, Dice.com and TechTarget.
Paul is involved in the Minneapolis and St Paul technology, marketing and social media communities as a sponsor, volunteer and mentor and was the co-founder, coordinator and advisory board member of Minnesota Recruiters, the largest regional recruiter group in the country.
Follow @MNHeadhunter on Twitter