Responsive Design with Bootstrap
Workshop scheduled at 8:30-11:30 in Room 3 (Ski-U-Mah)
Bootstrap, an open source front-end framework, is one of the most popular for building responsive websites. In this workshop, Jen Kramer will demonstrate how to use Bootstrap 3 as a foundation in your next web design project. In this hands-on workshop, she will lead you in:
- Downloading Bootstrap and incorporating it into an HTML document
- Working with the Bootstrap responsive grid system
- Exploring Bootstrap’s core CSS, overriding this CSS using standard CSS techniques
- Incorporating Bootstrap’s image formatting elements and icons
- Creating and styling fully responsive interactive menus with Bootstrap, including dropdown menus
- Incorporating jQuery plugins with Bootstrap, including thumbnails, modal windows, and tabs
At the conclusion of this workshops, attendees will be able to build a working Bootstrap website with some of the basic functionality.
Attendee skill level: Basic working knowledge of HTML. CSS background is very helpful, but not required.
For more than fifteen years, Jen Kramer has been educating clients, colleagues, friends and graduate students about the meaning of a “quality website.” Since 2000, she has built websites that are supportive of business and marketing goals in a freelance capacity and as part of an agency.
Jen is an O’Reilly Media staff author, creating new video training, mentoring other authors, and testing new video training technologies. Jen previously recorded video for lynda.com. She currently offers in-person and online courses through Harvard University Extension School. She is also available for individual private tutoring, customized classroom training, and consulting.
Jen earned a BS in biology at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and an MS in Internet Strategy Management at the Marlboro College Graduate School.
Follow @jen4web on Twitter